Tuesday 25 December 2007

The pre-NYE-panic

Ok folks, we are dangerously close to New Year's. Have you finalised your plans for the big night yet? I, of course, have not. Being in this situation brings back memories of a night a few years back, which ought to go down as the saddest, most pathetic new years of all time. I really can’t remember how I came to be in this predicament, but the scenario was this: me and friend, getting drunk on cheap Cava in my living room back in Trondheim. In theory, we could at least have had a great view of all the fireworks from there, but then there was this wild snow storm raging outside. We got drunk very quickly and so didn't even realise we had entered a new year until about an hour after midnight. We had vague plans of going out somewhere but unfortunately I passed out on the sofa. In the meantime, my friend was bent over the toilet bowl puking her guts out, while simultaneously trying to call her parents from her mobile. Well, at least the new year itself stood out as a triumph in comparison to this truly pathetic beginning!

Anyway, I pray I will fare better this year. Would I celebrate new years in Clapham? I'm not sure, to be honest. No venue in particular really stands out as a natural choice - you might want something of a grander scale than what Clapham has to offer. And I'm not about to suggest you should attend the stupid wig party at Inferno’s... I’m also suspicious of the Clapham Grand, with it's seedy semi-striptease shows. There are rumours of a masquerade ball at Lost Society, which would be excellent I’m sure, but their website has no info about it at the moment and I suspect it's sold out a long time ago. There’s a promising-sounding Banana Cabaret or a Gangsters and Molls theme party at the Bedford in Balham, but at 65 or 55 pounds it’s a bit too pricey for me. A cheaper option would be Brixton Jamm, featuring the Bays, Tom Middleton and others, for only 15 quid.


Hmmm. I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, as is my style...

No comments: